A+ Answers of the following Questions
Business & Finance
1. Children develop strong gender stereotypes because
A. there’s little interaction between children and their parents of the opposite sex.
B. they aren’t aware of biological differences between males and females.
C. they don’t like gender-neutral toys.
D. they see the world as highly divided by sex.
2. The theoretical position that asserts that inequality is often the result of force, fraud, and trickery comes from
A. conflict theory.
B. Emile Durkheim.
C. structural-functional theory.
D. Max Weber.
3. The American Dream is an ideology that justifies inequality by asserting that
A. people are unequal in natural talent and ability.
B. inequality is necessary to maintain society.
C. achievement is possible and we each get what we earn.
D. the United States is a rich country and we’re all better off than people in poor countries.
1. The dimension of social class having to do with the ability to overcome resistance and get others to act against their wishes is called
2. An irrational negative attitude held about a category of people is known as
3. The gist of the segmented labor market is that your income is determined by
A. how much education you have.
B. where you work as well as what you do.
C. the color of your hair.
D. your marital and parental status.
1. Which of the following statements about the Title IX law is true?
A. It prohibits sex discrimination in any educational institution or activity that receives federal funding.
B. It has led to a dramatic decline in women’s educational attainment, as they’re now just as likely as men to believe that they’ll have an opportunity to earn a living as a professional athlete.
C. It was the product of radical feminist efforts.
D. It applies only to athletics.
2. Which of the following is not a cultural characteristic that distinguishes ethnic groups?
D. National identification
3. For Karl Marx, which of these statements would best illustrates the presence of false consciousness?
A. Lois realizes that all working people are subordinate to those who own the means of production.
B. Joe says, “If I work hard and follow the rules, I’ll still die in debt to bankers and landlords.”
C. After Martin buys a factory, he calculates ways to reduce his costs of labor.
D. Cameron feels superior to Conrad, because he is a chef and Conrad’s a mere cabdriver.
1. In the distribution of scarce resources, caste systems rely on _______ statuses and class systems depend on _______ statuses.
A. ascribed; achieved
B. employment; educational
C. achieved; ascribed
D. educational; employment
2. According to your text, which of the following has encouraged discrimination against Arab Americans?
A. Catholic Church
B. Civil Rights Act
C. Gallup Poll
D. Patriot Act
3. As a modern conflict theorist concerned with noneconomic sources of power, you would not recognize __________ as a type of reproductive labor.
C. child care
D. house cleaning
1. The difficulties that John and Mary experience in their marriage represent a personal trouble. According to C. Wright Mills, the fact that 250 out of every 1,000 marriages end in divorce within the first four years, however, is
A. a latent dysfunction of marriage.
B. a public issue.
D. a sign of moral collapse.
2. According to Kingsley Davis, a manifest function of prostitution is that it
A. increases sexual crimes of violence.
B. provides a sexual outlet for men who can’t compete in the marriage market.
C. keeps many women properly employed and off the streets.
D. protects the bargaining position of married women.
3. Which of these statements best reflects Mead’s concept of the generalized other?
A. Most of us learn our social roles from watching what other people do.
B. Anyone Jane doesn’t recognize as a significant other, she considers a generalized other.
C. Ike has an overall understanding of the norms and values of his culture.
D. Jake imagines what it’s like to be firefighter and decides he would like to be a firefighter.