Discussion Changing Demographics and Diversity A Personal Account writing homework help
Discussion: Changing Demographics and Diversityâ€”A Personal Account
In the article “Beyond the Illusion of Diversity: How Early Childhood Teachers Can Promote Social Justice,” author Boutte asks you to consider new ways to think about challenges arising from issues related to changing demographics and diversity. She encourages you to imagine solutions “beyond what our current worldviews permit us to imagine” (Boutte, p.165).
Although complex, this is an attainable goal. An important first step is to be as authentic as possible in assessing how you currently view changing demographics and diversity. By being authentic in this manner, you gain a realistic sense of the ways in which you currently relate to issues of changing demographics and diversity, and you acknowledge if there is perhaps room for you to grow personally and professionally. There is no one “best” way to attain authenticity, yet there are several steps you can take. As you study the resources, note any issues related to changing demographics and diversity with which you are already well acquainted; recognize aspects/effects/consequences of changing demographics and diversity of which you were not aware before; discern which of these issues you want to study in more detail, and which, if any, present a challenge to you, and in what way(s).
In this effort to better understand your position about issues of changing demographics and diversity, listen again to the audio file “The Effects of Changing Demographics and Diversity on Children, Families, and the EC Field.” Then choose one issue/trend from the conversation that either resonates with you and/or that presents a professional and/or personal or challenge for you. Reflect on your choice and
- A paraphrase of the issue/trend you chose and specific reasons for your choice
- Ways in which information you learned helped you better understand issues related to changing demographics and/or diversity as they affect young children, their families, and the early childhood field
- What you learned about your attitudes toward diversity and related issues/trends
- Assumptions you held that were either affirmed or dispelled as well as implications which surprised, concerned, and/or inspired you
- Any specific way(s) that challenges related to this issue might turn into an opportunity for professional growth
- Ways in which Dr. Grace’s presentation and the understanding you gained might affect your work with young children and their families and/or your professional career choices
Article: Boutte, G. S. (2008). Beyond the illusion of diversity: How early childhood teachers can promote social justice. Social Studies, 99(4), 165â€“173. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.