crisis intervention sociology assignment help
Rank in order five of the crisis intervention counseling models. Then respond to the following: What were the factors that shaped the ranking of your response to the crisis intervention models? Might you change the ranking if you were working with a client from a different culture? Explain your response and then apply your first choice of a model to the following brief case:
You are a counselor at a community mental health center and have just read the intake notes for a new adult male client you will see next week. His presenting problem is that he witnessed his brother being shot and killed about a month ago.
How would the model you chose address the issue this client is bringing into counseling?
not an essay just discussion post***
the 5 crisis intervention counseling models are:
- Equilibrium â€“ Most appropriate for early intervention, the equilibrium model focuses on helping the client return to the state of equilibrium that existed prior to the crisis. The model is based on the premise that until some coping skills are regained, little else can or should be done.
- Cognitive â€“ This model is based on the premise that crises are rooted in faulty thinking about the events or situations that surround the crisis. The goal of the model is to help people become aware of and then change their thinking and move them in the direction of rational, self-enhancing thought.
- Psychosocial Transition â€“ This model puts forward the premise that since people are the product of their social environments and influences as well as of their own development, both internal and external influences need to be explored. The goal is to assist the client to incorporate adequate internal coping mechanisms in conjunction with social supports and environmental resources.
Two additional models have been added recently. They are:
- Developmental-Ecological â€“ Proposed by Collins and Collins (2005), per this model, the counselor needs to look at the relationship between the individual and his or her environment along with his or her developmental stage. Based on developmental stage theories, the model looks at how well the client has mastered previous developmental stages as a guide to dealing with crisis.
- Contextual-Ecological â€“ Myer and Mooreâ€™s (2006) model focuses on the contextual elements of crisis. They proposed a formula for gauging the impact on the individual and the system based on three factors: physical proximity and reactions, the meaning attributed, and the reciprocity between individual and system reactions, which is divided by the amount of time that has passed since the crisis occurred. This model does not present goals for treatment.