Case study of a criminal offender psychology homework help
Competencies Addressed in This Discussion
This discussion addresses the following competencies:
- Competency 1: Apply theoretical perspectives to motives for criminal behavior.
- Competency 4: Apply scholarly research findings to topics in criminal psychology.
- Competency 5: Explain mental health testing and standards applicable in criminal courts.
In this discussion, you will explore a case study of a well-known criminal offender and prepare for an assignment based on the same offender in the next unit. You may select a case from the following high-profile individuals:
- Susan Smith.
- Jeffrey Dahmer.
- Andrea Yates.
All three used the insanity defense. The unit readings include articles concerning all three offenders. Choose the offender you want to focus on and read the articles provided. Include the name of the offender you have chosen to discuss in your subject line of your main post.
Research your selected case. In your main post:
- Describe briefly the charges against the individual.
- Discuss the psychological theories relevant to the case. For example, are there biological, developmental, or environmental factors that could be applied to his or her criminal behavior?
- Describe how psychological assessments or evaluations were used in the criminal proceedings.